Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Tool Z rotation along a curve

Jeremy, Great job on the "RoboDK - From 3D model to robot paths - Part 2" webinar!

I'm excited to try out the new "modify curve" functionality. However, it seems that currently you can modify the "roll" angle along a path, but not the "yaw" -Tool Z rotation along a curve.

I'm working on a liquid dispensing application and having problems using the curve follow project to to dispense on the surface shown in the attached picture while controlling a large tool's Z rotation to prevent collisions with the surface.

Scenario: A path goes down hill, across a flat, and back up hill.

Let's separate these into separate segments and name them: "DOWNHILL", "FLAT", and "UPHILL". For simplicity, let's call the end points to these line segments A, B, C, and D. Here's some ASCII-art; I'll try to post RoboDK screenshots and station files later.

{A}-
D
O -{D}
W L
N L
H I
I H
L P
L U
- {B}产品——{C}

My real geometry will have more complexity, including fillet radii between the segments, but I'm trying to simplify for a general discussion.

I would like to have my tool orientation at each point be as follows:
  • point {A}: ToolRZ = 0 deg
  • point {B}: ToolRZ = 0 deg
  • point {C}: ToolRZ = 180 deg
  • point {D}: ToolRZ = 180 deg

It does not seem possible to do thesegmentacross the flat{B}-FLAT- {C}with Z-rotation using acurve follow project, so I split this into three programs: "Downhill" (generated by a curve follow project), "Flat" (manual targets), and "Uphill" (generated by a different curve follow project).

However, linking these for a smooth motion has proven quite difficult. Some issues:
  • Transitioning from curve-follow segment to manually created target-to-target move creates a stop or stutter movement with a real robot that is hard to see in the simulation
  • The Z-rotation of the tool is hard to control to be smooth
  • Sometimes when I re-run the curve follow project, a new program with the same name is generated with the same name, creating confusion.
  • Attempts to modify the curve-follow-generated targets breaks the program. My procedure is Program>show instructions, then selecting a series of moveL commands and right-click>select target. The targets are dropped into the wrong reference frame, and moving them to the correct frame breaks the moveL links. Editing the moveL commands to re-link the targets doesn't work either.
Any advice on how to achieve smooth, linked segment motions with Z-tool orientation changing along a path would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris

Messages In This Thread
Tool Z rotation along a curve - bychris_f- 04-30-2020, 07:19 PM
RE: Tool Z rotation along a curve - byAlbert- 05-01-2020, 01:16 PM
RE: Tool Z rotation along a curve - bychris_f- 05-01-2020, 06:18 PM
RE: Tool Z rotation along a curve - byAlbert- 05-04-2020, 02:16 PM
RE: Tool Z rotation along a curve - byJFCh- 11-27-2020, 03:14 PM